AMSOIL Arenacross, featuring Ricky Carmichael‰Ûªs Road to Supercross, hosted its second night of action from Milwaukee, inside U.S. Cellular Arena to complete the fifth round of the 2014 season.
For the first time this season, Babbitt‰Ûªs Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki presented by Maxxis rider Zach Ames won an Arenacross Class overall to extend his points lead.
For the second straight night, Farmers Insurance/Reynard Mods Suzuki‰Ûªs Cory Green grabbed the holeshot and early lead in the first Arenacross Class Main Event, with TiLUBE/PBR/TUF Racing Honda teammates Jacob Hayes and Kyle Regal in tow.
Green paced the field for the first three laps before Hayes made a move and took over the lead. While Hayes tried to open a gap, Babbitt‰Ûªs Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki‰Ûªs Tyler Bowers closed in following a fifth-place start and a battle for the lead ensued, culminating in contact on Lap 7 that dropped both riders to the tail end of the field. That allowed Regal to take over the lead with Ames charging in second.
Ames closed in on Regal on the final lap, but Regal held on by seven one-hundredths of a second. TZR Woodstock KTM‰Ûªs Travis Sewell finished third. Bowers recovered to finish 10th with Hayes finishing 15th.
Regal selected the inversion for the second Main Event, selecting the full 16-rider gate for the third straight evening.
Bowers rebounded to grab the holeshot and early lead in the second Main Event, bringing Motosport.com/MJM Express/Spinechilers Kawasaki‰Ûªs Michael McDade and Hayes with him. While trying to make a move on Bowers, McDade crashed and was forced to record a DNF.
Bowers led the entire 15-lap Main Event to take the win. Hayes followed in second, with Ames making an impressive climb from an 11th-place start to take over a podium spot in the closing laps and finish third. Regal recorded a seventh-place finish after a tip over.
Despite not winning either of the two Main Events, Ames‰Ûª consistency was enough to secure the overall win (2-3). Regal finished second overall (1-7), while Bowers captured third overall (10-1).
In Head-to-Head Bracket Racing, Bowers defeated Sewell to earn the second championship bonus point.
Ames extended his lead in the Arenacross Class standings to six points.
In the Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites Class, BWRengines.com Honda‰Ûªs Maxx Malatia captured his first Main Event victory of the season.
Following a third-place finish last night, BWRengines.com Honda‰Ûªs Maxx Malatia kept the momentum going by securing the Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites Class Main Event holeshot for the second consecutive evening.
Motosport Hillsboro KTM‰Ûªs Gared Steinke followed in second with BWRengines.com Honda‰Ûªs Kyle White in third. The trio engaged in great racing throughout the 18-lap Main Event, bringing the fans to their feet. Ultimately, the top three positions never changed hands with Malatia posting a wire-to-wire effort. Steinke held on for second, while White helped give the BWRengines.com squad to podium finishers in third.
It was a memorable night for Traders Racing Kawasaki‰Ûªs Tony Archer, who finished fifth. Archer entered the evening as the Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites Class points leader and was able to secure his first career AMA title with his top-five effort. Archer relied on consistency to earn the championship, posting a pair of season-best runner-up finishes and finishing no worse than sixth in eight Main Events.
AMSOIL Arenacross continues next weekend with the sixth round of the season and its West Coast debut from Sacramento, and Sleep Train Arena.
Arenacross Class Results ‰ÛÒ Main Event 1
1. Kyle Regal, Grand Prairie, Texas, Honda
2. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki
3. Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM
4. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Kawasaki
5. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki
6. Colt Nichols, S. Muskogee, Okla., Kawasaki
7. Jeff Gibson, Pataskala, Ohio, Honda
8. Steven Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki
9. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM
10. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
Arenacross Class Results ‰ÛÒ Main Event 2
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
2. Jacob Hayes, Greensboro, N.C., Kawasaki
3. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki
4. Gared Steinke, Woodland, Calif., Kawasaki
5. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM
6. Jeff Gibson, Pataskala, Ohio, Honda
7. Kyle Regal, Grand Prairie, Texas, Honda
8. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki
9. Colt Nichols, S. Muskogee, Okla., Kawasaki
10. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Kawasaki
Arenacross Class Points (After Race 8 of 19)
1. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki ‰ÛÒ 208 Pts
2. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki ‰ÛÒ 202 Pts
3. Jacob Hayes, Greensboro, N.C., Kawasaki ‰ÛÒ 177 Pts
4. Michael McDade, McDonald, Ohio, Kawasaki ‰ÛÒ 168 Pts
5. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM ‰ÛÒ 148 Pts
6. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki ‰ÛÒ 133 Pts
7. Kyle Regal, Grand Prairie, Texas, Honda ‰ÛÒ 123 Pts
8. Colt Nichols, S. Muskogee, Okla., Kawasaki ‰ÛÒ 122 Pts
9. Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM ‰ÛÒ 121 Pts
10. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM ‰ÛÒ 116 Pts
Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites Results
1. Maxx Malatia, Itasca, Ill., Honda
2. Gared Steinke, Woodland, Calif., KTM
3. Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda
4. Steve Roman, Apollo, Pa., Suzuki
5. Tony Archer, Waldorf, Md., Kawasaki
6. Dave Ginolfi, Boston, N.J., KTM
7. Jacob Williamson, Swartz Creek, Mich., Yamaha
8. Brandon Glenn, Mesquite, Texas, KTM
9. Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM
10. Jeremy Pronovost, St. Philippe, Quebec, KTM
Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites Class Points (After Race 8 of 9)
1. Tony Archer, Waldorf, Md., Kawasaki ‰ÛÒ 101 Pts
2. Brandon Glenn, Mesquite, Texas, KTM ‰ÛÒ 70 Pts
3. Steve Roman, Apollo, Pa., Suzuki ‰ÛÒ 69 Pts
4. Jacob Williamson, Swartz Creek, Mich., Yamaha ‰ÛÒ 65 Pts
5. Michael Lang, Saugerties, N.Y., Honda ‰ÛÒ 41 Pts
6. Scott Zont, Algonquin, Ill., KTM ‰ÛÒ 36 Pts
7. Keith Tucker, Furgacy-Varina, N.C., Yamaha ‰ÛÒ 33 Pts
8. Fredrik Noren, Sweden, KTM ‰ÛÒ 28 Pts
9. Chad Wages, Frederick, Md., KTM ‰ÛÒ 28 Pts
10. Josh Struebig, Crown Point, Ind., KTM ‰ÛÒ 27