New Zealand's Michael Menchi is preparing for the race of his life.
The 18-year-old Suzuki rider from Waikanae, just north of Wellington, has been selected to represent New Zealand at the 2008 China International Motocross Invitation Event in Siyang, Jiangsu Province, China next month.
The one-off event from September 19-21 also includes riders representing China, France, Belgium, Mongolia, Hong Kong, Australia and Japan.
A guest of the Chinese Motor Sports Association, Menchi will arrive in Beijing shortly before the event and have Motorcycling New Zealand senior motocross commissioner Mike McLeod, from Wellington, to manage and assist him.
The sole Kiwi entrant, Menchi says he is both thrilled and honoured to be selected.
McLeod said Menchi was "the obvious choice" among New Zealand's many eligible and talented young riders.
"Because if his performances in Australia this year, in addition to his third placing in the 125cc class at the New Zealand Championships last year, he showed he had the right stuff.
"He has a very good chance of winning in China," said McLeod.
Menchi's father, Kevin Menchi, said his son's selection was "just the boost he needed", after having a mixed season racing across the Tasman.
"He started well in the under-19 championship in Australia but ended poorly. This is a huge boost to his confidence. He has been training really hard with the New Zealand Motocross Championships coming up -- his Suzuki team leader Daryl Hurley is a tough boss -- and he'll be well prepared."