You probably would have expected this race report to start with Red Bull KTM Factory Racing, although you would never have guessed that the name that is about to follow is Jorge Prado.
Yes, that‰Ûªs right! The fifteen-year-old Spaniard pulled a massive holeshot and led every single lap to take the checkers on his MX2 debut. It was jaw dropping.
The next question is bound to be ‰Û÷what happened to Jeffrey Herlings? Well, after putting everybody to shame in the timed session, as expected in sand this deep, The Bullet got off to an ‰Û÷okay‰Ûª start, around fifth. He picked off a couple of guys but it was his pass on HSF Logistic Motorsport‰Ûªs Calvin Vlaanderen for second, that made you rub your eyes and think ‰Û÷wait a minute, did that just happen?‰Ûª Basically, he swapped his way through the waves but stayed hard on the throttle and just railed around the outside of him, on a hair pin turn! You don‰Ûªt see moves like that every day. After that epic pass, he chased his teammate, Prado, for about eight laps before his bike let go.
While Herlings had a disappointing start to his home grand prix, it was the polar opposite for the two other Dutchmen on the line, Calvin Vlaanderen and Brian Bogers. Both riders also ride for a Dutch team, HSF Logistics Motorsport KTM. Vlaanderen technically isn‰Ûªt Dutch. He was born in South Africa but rides with a Dutch license and lives in Holland, anyway, the Dutch fans are likely to adopt him as one of their own after his epic performance for second place in front of his teammate, and ‰Û÷real‰Ûª Dutchman, Bogers.
As if those results weren‰Ûªt crazy enough, the recently crowned European EMX250 Champion, Thomas Kjer Olsen seems to know how to keep his Bodo Scmidt Husqvarna light in the sand as he sailed to fourth place ahead of Suzuki World MX2‰Ûªs Jeremy Seewer.
MXGP Qualifying Race Top Ten:
1. Antonio Cairoli (ITA, KTM), 24:04.630;
2. Glenn Coldenhoff (NED, KTM), +0:14.120;
3. Clement Desalle (BEL, Kawasaki), +0:14.777;
4. Jeremy Van Horebeek (BEL, Yamaha), +0:22.430;
5. Jordi Tixier (FRA, Kawasaki), +0:30.784;
6. Tanel Leok (EST, KTM), +0:34.839;
7. Tim Gajser (SLO, Honda), +0:35.474;
8. Gautier Paulin (FRA, Honda), +0:42.625;
9. Shaun Simpson (GBR, KTM), +0:44.463;
10. Jose Butron (ESP, KTM), +0:52.965
MX2 Qualifying Race Top Ten:
1. Jorge Prado Garcia (ESP, KTM), 24:22.263;
2. Calvin Vlaanderen (NED, KTM), +0:01.111;
3. Brian Bogers (NED, KTM), +0:16.067;
4. Thomas Kjer Olsen (DEN, Husqvarna), +0:20.633;
5. Jeremy Seewer (SUI, Suzuki), +0:26.455;
6. Adam Sterry (GBR, KTM), +0:28.923;
7. Benoit Paturel (FRA, Yamaha), +0:30.657;
8. Bas Vaessen (NED, Suzuki), +0:31.500;
9. Petar Petrov (BUL, Kawasaki), +0:33.094;
10. Max Anstie (GBR, Husqvarna), +0:40.847.