Repsol Honda's Marc Marques was third fastest while Aleix Espargaro again gave Suzuki MotoGp a reason to feel positive heading into the season opener posting the fourth fastest time on day one.
‰ÛÏToday we focused on adapting the set-up to the track, which is new for us, and to get well-prepared for the race." Espargaro said. "Lap times are not so bad but there is still room for improvements.
"We tested both soft and hard tyres: the first one is very competitive, but it is not suitable for this kind of track as it deteriorates pretty quickly. I feel more-confident with the hard tyre, the pace is not that much slower but the grip drops after 10/ 11 laps, so we need to work on electronics and settings to counterbalance this.
Dani Pedroso rounded out the top five aboard his Honda. Jorge Lorenzo was the leading Yamaha rider in 6th position, with Cal Crutchlow 7th on his LCR honda, Valentino Rossi 8th, Bradley Smith the leading Monster Yamaha Tech3 rider in ninth and Scott Reading 10th.
Australia's Jack Miller finished the day 19th fastest.
Qatar Day One Test Results
1. Andrea Iannone (ITA), Ducati Team, 1'55.265
2. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA), Ducati Team, 1'55.363
3. Marc Marquez (SPA), Repsol Honda Team, 1'55.554
4. Aleix Espargaro (SPA), Team Suzuki Ecstar, 1'55.698
5. Dani Pedrosa (SPA), Repsol Honda Team, 1'55.813
6. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA), Movistar Yamaha MotoGP, 1'55.828
7. Cal Crutchlow (GBR), CWM LCR Honda, 1'55.837
8. Valentino Rossi (ITA), Movistar Yamaha MotoGP, 1'55.938
9. Bradley Smith (GBR), Monster Yamaha Tech3, 1'55.954
10. Scott Redding (GBR), Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS, 1'56.112