The host nation, Team Germany was led by the four-time World Record holder and youngest NIGHT of the JUMPs winner of all time, Luc Ackermann. Luc received support from his older brother Hannes and also Christian Kleiner who made his debut on the NIGHT of the JUMPs track.
In Maxxis Best Whip, the whipmaster Pat Bowden from Australia was able to take full points for his team. The jump-off was against Luc Ackermann and Matej Cesak, who both fired out unreal whips, but the Australian had them both covered.
Team Germany was able to fight back in the synchro contest. Luc and Hannes Ackermann received the loudest cheers on the richter scale from the home town German crowd.
In the Rockwell Best Trick contest, each nation sent out their best riders. Libor Podmol represented the Czech Republic with a huge Cliffhanger Backflip to No Hand Lander, while Pat Bowden brought one of the most technical tricks in the sport of FMX, the Rock Solid Backflip. But this wouldn‰Ûªt be enough for the victory over Luc Ackermann who unleashed with the best extended Surfer Tsunami Backflip of his career.
The overall decision came down to the Freestyle Runs. Here, Team Australia/Chile delivered the best runs. Villegas stunned everyone with tricks like the Rowedova and Lazyboy Flip, Ryan Brown had the biggest Ruler Flip of the night and also his signature Switchblade flip, while Pat Bowden showed his Nac 360, Rock Solid Flip and Hart Flip.
Team Germany‰Ûªs chances started well, with Christian Kleiner piecing together an impressive run for his first ever ride at NIGHT of the JUMPs. Unfortunately, due to a possible mechanical issue on his last trick, he crashed against the wall and had to go to hospital. The decimated German team managed to continue and seal second place in front of a very solid and composed team Czech Republic who were always so close to taking the win. In the end, it was Pat Bowden, Javier Villegas and Ryan Brown who would win the first Team Challenge of the Freestyle of Nations. Other competitions will follow next year as part of the World Tour.
The NIGHT of the JUMPs World Tour 2017 has now come to an end. January 27th, 2018 will see the new season kick-off with the NIGHT of the JUMPs World Championship in Basel‰Ûªs St. Jakobshalle. German fans won‰Ûªt have to wait long until they get another dose of FMX when the World Championships will return to Berlin on the 16th and 17th of February, 2018 in the Mercedes-Benz Arena.
NIGHT of the JUMPs ‰ÛÒ Freestyle of Nations
Oberhausen, 9. December 2017
1. Team Australia Bowden, Villegas Brown 695 Points
2. Team Germany L. Ackermann, Kleiner, H. Ackermann 643 Points
3. Team Czech Republic Podmol, Koren, Cesak 598 Points
Results Freestyle Final
1. Libor Podmol Team CZE 185 Points
1. Luc Ackermann Team GER 170 Points
2. Pat Bowden Team AUS 160 Points
Results Freestyle Run Round 1
1. Ryan Brown Team AUS 88 Points
2. Matej Cesak Team CZE 65 Points
3. Christian Kleiner Team GER 50 Points
Results Freestyle Run Round 2
1. Javier Villegas Team AUS 82 Points
2. Martin Koren Team CZE 72 Points
3. Hannes Ackermann Team GER 56 Points
Results Maxxis Best Whip Contest
1. Pat Bowden Team AUS 100 Points
2. Luc Ackermann Team GER 75 Points
3. Matej Cesak Team CZE 50 Points
Results Rockwell Best Trick Contest
1. Luc Ackermann Team GER Surfer Tsunami 99 Points
2. Pat Bowden Team AUS Rock Solid Flip 94 Points
3. Libor Podmol Team CZE Cliffhanger Flip NHL 90 Points