Red Bull KTM Factory Racing‰Ûªs Pauls Jonass came across the finish line in first every one of the 13 laps. Jonass‰Ûª good start allowed him to focus and gap the competition by 11.5 seconds.
‰ÛÏLast year I had a big crash here, but overall I enjoy this track, I like riding here. Feeling was good today, I just could ride my own lines and was able to try some new lines for passing tomorrow." Jonass said.
While Jonass led, his Red Bull KTM Factory Racing Teammate Jorge Prado Garcia was right in tow and fending off the relentless Rockstar Energy Husqvar Factory Racing rider, Thomas Covington.
The American, Covington wasn‰Ûªt alone either at first it was his fellow countryman, Monster Energy DRT Kawasaki‰Ûªs Darian Sanayei.
In his first race back since Ottobiano, Sanayei had a strong performance even after being passed by Kemea Yamaha Official MX Team‰Ûªs Benoit Paturel.
Across the finish and past the checkered it was Prado who withstood the charges of Covington to finish 2nd followed by the American, Paturel, and Sanayei.
LRT KTM‰Ûªs Julien Lieber was initially battling in the top three but made a mistake and went off track and he finished 15th.
The winner of the last 2 GPs, Suzuki World MX2‰Ûªs Jeremy Seewer suffered a bad start in outside the top 20, then made a mistake dropping him even further to 31st before coming back to finish in the 21st position.
Aussie Hunter Lawrence finished 14th in his first race back from a back injury. Lawrence's compatriot Jed Beaton finished 18th fastest in his debut for the Team HRC - MX2 team.
MXGP Qualifying Race Top Ten:
1. Antonio Cairoli (ITA, KTM), 25:12.952
2. Tim Gajser (SLO, Honda), +0:05.438
3. Maximilian Nagl (GER, Husqvarna), +0:07.923
4. Jeffrey Herlings (NED, KTM), +0:09.109
5. Glenn Coldenhoff (NED, KTM), +0:10.399
6. Gautier Paulin (FRA, Husqvarna), +0:11.225
7. Romain Febvre (FRA, Yamaha), +0:15.774
8. Clement Desalle (BEL, Kawasaki), +0:16.817
9. Arnaud Tonus (SUI, Yamaha), +0:25.360
10. Kevin Strijbos (BEL, Suzuki), +0:28.882
MX2 Qualifying Race Top Ten:
1. Pauls Jonass (LAT, KTM), 23:42.845
2. Jorge Prado Garcia (ESP, KTM), +0:11.512
3. Thomas Covington (USA, Husqvarna), +0:13.182
4. Benoit Paturel (FRA, Yamaha), +0:21.032
5. Darian Sanayei (USA, Kawasaki), +0:26.198
6. Conrad Mewse (GBR, Husqvarna), +0:27.791
7. Brian Bogers (NED, KTM), +0:28.790
8. Ben Watson (GBR, KTM), +0:33.166
9. Bas Vaessen (NED, Suzuki), +0:37.872
10. Calvin Vlaanderen (NED, KTM), +0:40.596