A late charge put Cal Crutchlow third in the dying minutes of the test. One of the most impressive results of the day came from Hector Barbera in fourth with a 1‰Ûª29.361s, he and his teammate Baz, in sixth, were split by Valentino Rossi. In seventh, Dani Pedrosa made steady improvements throughout the day to end ahead of Pol Espargaro and Jorge Lorenzo, Andrea Dovizioso rounded out the top ten on Friday and was 0.702s back on Marquez‰Ûªs best time.
Thanks to his stunning 1‰Ûª29.131 on Thursday, Maverick ViÌ±ales leaves the test as the overall fastest rider ahead of Marc Marquez. With less than 18 minutes to go on the final day, LCR Honda‰Ûªs Cal Crutchlow set the third fastest time of the test.
Despite a difficult third day, Lorenzo leaves Australia as the fourth fastest rider just 0.004s ahead of Hector Barbera who proved that the GP14.2 is still competitive despite being several generations behind the factory bikes. Rossi‰Ûª s 1‰Ûª29.404 from Thursday sees him end the test in sixth, continuing the strong form the factory Yamaha team have shown in recent tests.
The second fastest Ducati at the end of the Phillip Island test was Loris Baz on the Avintia Ducati, a new seat unit allowing him to get comfortable on the bike and end the test seventh overall. Dani Pedrosa ended the three days with a best time of 1‰Ûª29.606, 0.023s back on Baz .
Rounding out the top ten on combined times, Pol Espargaro and Andrea Iannone both completed significant distance on their machines over the three days. Iannone was closely followed by Ducati Team teammate Andrea Dovizioso with Octo Pramac Yakhnich‰Ûªs Scott Redding just behind.
Fellow Brit Bradley Smith leaves Phillip Island in 13th ahead of Wednesday‰Ûªs leader Danilo Petrucci and Jack Miller, the Australian rounding out the top fifteen on his return from injury. Tito Rabat ended the test in 16th but within a second of the fastest time while Aleix Espargaro finished a disappointing 17th ahead of Aspar MotoGP Team duo Yonny Hernandez and Eugene Laverty. Takuya Tsuda rounded out the top 20.
MotoGP riders and teams will be back on track on the second of March for their final pre-season test in Qatar.
Main Photo: Marc Marquez went fastest on the final day
Credit: Repsol Honda
MotoGP Test Phillip Island Day 3 - Final
1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 29.158s [On Lap 48/64]
2. Maverick ViÌ±ales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 29.299s +0.141s [On Lap11/39]
3. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 29.348s +0.190s [On Lap58/58]
4. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 29.361s +0.203s [On Lap57/65]
5. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 29.435s +0.277s [On Lap43/56]
6. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 29.583s +0.425s [On Lap11/54]
7. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 29.606s +0.448s [On Lap37/42]
8. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 29.718s +0.560s [On Lap43/44]
9. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 29.760s +0.602s [On Lap16/41]
10. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP16) 1m 29.860s +0.702s [On Lap49/65]
11. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 29.922s +0.764s [On Lap57/61]
12. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP16) 1m 29.932s +0.774s [On Lap39/53]
13. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 29.995s +0.837s [On Lap53/57]
14. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 30.023s +0.865s [On Lap37/37]
15. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 1m 30.119s +0.961s [On Lap56/56]
16. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 30.188s +1.030s [On Lap43/45]
17. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 30.198s +1.040s [On Lap34/38]
18. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 30.492s +1.334s [On Lap48/54]
19. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 31.055s +1.897s [On Lap25/45]
20. Takuya Tsuda JPN Suzuki Test Rider (GSX-RR) 1m 33.532s +4.374s [On Lap32/46]
Overall Results: Phillip Island Official MotoGP Test
1. Maverick ViÌ±ales, ESP, Team Suzuki Ecstar, 1'29.131s
2. Marc Marquez, ESP, Repsol Honda Team, 1'29.158s, +0.027s
3. Cal Crutchlow, GBR, LCR Honda, 1'29.348s, +0.217s
4. Jorge Lorenzo, ESP, Movistar Yamaha MotoGP, 1'29.357s, +0.226s
5. Hector Barbera, ESP, Avintia Racing, 1'29.361s, +0.230s
6. Valentino Rossi, ITA, Movistar Yamaha MotoGP, 1'29.404s, +0.273s
7. Loris Baz, FRA, Avintia Racing, 1'29.583s +0.452s
8. Dani Pedrosa, ESP, Repsol Honda Team, 1'29.606s, +0.475s
9. Pol Espargaro, ESP, Monster Yamaha Tech 3, 1'29.718s, +0.587s
10. Andrea Iannone, ITA, Ducati Team, 1'29.857, +0.726s
11. Andrea Dovizioso, ITA, Ducati Team, 1'29.860s, +0.729s
12. Scott Redding, GBR, Octo Pramac Yakhnich, 1'29.922s, +0.791s
13. Bradley Smith, GBR, Monster Yamaha Tech 3, 1'29.992s, +0.861s
14. Danilo Petrucci, ITA, Octo Pramac Yakhnich, 1'29.995s, +0.864s
15. Jack Miller, AUS, Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS, 1'30.023s, +0.892s
16. Tito Rabat, ESP, Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS, 1'30.119s, +0.988s
17. Aleix Espargaro, ESP, Team Suzuki Ecstar, 1'30.198s, +1.067s
18. Yonny Hernandez, COL, Aspar MotoGP Team, 1'30.492s, +1.361s
19. Eugene Laverty, IRL, Aspar MotoGP Team, 1'30.617s, +1.486s
20. Takuya Tsuda, JPN, Suzuki Test Rider, 1'32.599s, +3.468s