Rounding out the podium in the overall motorcycle classification after nine stages of racing is Red Bull KTM Factory rider Jordi Viladoms who also had a good day finish sixth and consolidate his third overall position. He now has a good 30-minute advantage over fourth placed Chilean rider Jermias Esquerre.
Australia's Shane Diener continued his climb up the overall standings on day nine after some trouble in the early stages of the race. The Yamaha mounted rider finished the days stage in 34th position and moved up four spots overall to just inside the top 50 in 49th position.
KTM rider Troy O'Connor continues to lead the way for the Australian contingent overall in 38th position after his 42nd position finish on stage nine. Allan Roberts had another solid day finishing the stage in 47th and currently sits in 41st position as the 2014 Dakar enters the final stages.
Stage 10 brings the longest special stage of the Dakar 2014. The riders have to tackle 631 km against the clock on their way to Antofagasta. Together with the following stage on Thursday to El Salvador the decisive moments of the race are approaching.
Stage 9 Results Calama to Iquique - Chile:
1. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM) 04:49:05 hrs
2. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) +00:01:41
3. Cyril Despres (FRA, Yamaha) +00:05:28
4. Juan Pedrero Garcia (ESP, Sherco) +00:08:43
5. Stefan Svitko (SVK, KTM) +00:09:42
6. Jordi Viladoms (ESP, KTM) +00:11:23
7. Helder Rodrigues (PRT, Honda) +00:11:44
8. Ivan Jakes (SVK, KTM) +00:13:40
9. Laia Sanz (ESP, Honda) +00:14:34
10. Jeremias Israel Esquerre (CHL, Speedbrain) +00:15:01
34. Shane Diener (Aus, Yamaha) +01:02:43
42. Troy O'Connor (Aus, KTM) +01:17:39
47. Allan Roberts (Aus, KTM) +01:32:38
Provisional Overall Standings after Stage 9:
1. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM) 36:55:24 hrs
2. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) +00:40:19
3. Jordi Viladoms (ESP, KTM) +01:38:45
4. Jeremias Israel Esquerre (CHL, Speedbrain) +02:07:06
5. Olivier Pain (FRA, Yamaha) +02:16:10
6. Helder Rodrigues (PRT, Honda) +02:24:25
7. Jakub Przygonski (POL, KTM) +02:25:16
8. Cyril Despres (FRA, Yamaha) +02:29:56
9. Daniel Gouet (CHL, Honda) +02:57:42
10. David Casteu (FRA, KTM) +03:23:06
38. Troy O'Connor (Aus, KTM) +11:18:07
41. Allan Roberts (Aus, KTM) +12:04:01
49. Shane Diener (Aus, Yamaha) +13:31:17
Top Image: Marc Coma increased his lead to back over 40 minutes after winning stage nine.
Credit: KTM Images