The new map switch also operates a traction control feature completely new for 2017. This can be selected to an on or off position from the switch and functions by analyzing throttle input from the rider and the rate at which RPM increases in the engine. If the RPM increases too quickly, the EMS will register a loss of grip and reduce the amount of power to the rear wheel ensuring maximum traction. This can be a distinct advantage in wet or muddy conditions.
- New traction control feature - optimal traction in all conditions.
Engine management system (EMS)
The Keihin EMS is specifically designed to be smaller, lighter and faster at processing data. It integrates launch control for perfect starts, selectable engine maps via the switch on the handlebar as well as traction control. Combined with the newgear sensor, power delivery is tailored for each gear.
- Keihin EMS - smaller, lighter and faster at processing engine data for more efficient engine management.
- Gear sensor - specific engine maps for each gear.
44mm throttle body
The MY17 features the same 44mm Keihin throttle body as MY 16. The injector has been positioned in order to ensure the most efficient flow into the combustion chamber while in an effort to ensure optimal throttle response the throttle cable is mounted directly without a throttle linkage providing more immediate throttle response and feeling.
- Throttle body - 44mm, injector positioned for optimal flow, more immediate throttle response thanks to direct cable mounting.
The exhaust system has been expertly designed to deliver the best possible performance while adhering to the FIM noise limits. The header pipes feature resonance chambers that improve performance, and on the 450 SOHC engine, the resonance chamber is integrated into the header pipe and resembles a 2-stroke expansion chamber. The silencers are crafted from lightweight and strong aluminum in an effort to reduce weight and benefit mass centralization resulting in sharper, more effective handling. The TC 125 and TC 250 exhaust systems have also been specifically designed to match specific engine characteristics while keeping weight to a minimum.
- Exhausts - mass-centralization, light-weight, optimal performance.
Electric start and new Li-Ion battery
All 4-strokes come standard with electric starters. Along with the benefit of easy starting the system is combined with a compact Li-Ion battery which is 2.2 pounds lighter than a conventional battery. The wiring harness has been purposefully designed so that the rear subframe can be removed without having to remove any wiring.
- Electric starter - easy starting when time is critical.
- Li-Ion battery - lightweight, 2.2 pounds lighter than a conventional battery.
- Battery and wiring harness position - easy removal of subframe.
Integrated cooling system and radiators
The radiators have been expertly crafted by WP Performance Systems using high strength aluminum. CFD (computational fluid dynamics) has been utilized to channel air through the radiators more efficiently and provide optimal cooling in any condition. The cooling system is integrated into the frame allowing for better cooling by channeling coolant through the frame while eliminating the need for additional hoses. Additionally, the radiator protectors do not only protect against flying debris but also act as a brace channeling any energy from an impact around the radiator and into the frame.
- Integrated cooling - maximum efficiency in minimum space.
- New WP radiators - stronger and more efficient for optimal cooling.
- Radiator protectors - protection from debris and falls.
The 1.85-gallon polythene fuel tank incorporates a threaded filler cap and an integrated fuel pump on the 4-strokes.
- 1.85 gallon polythene fuel tank - large capacity for extended running times.
Airbox and tool-less air filter access
The airbox has been designed with inlet ducts positioned precisely to prevent air deformation ensuring maximum airflow and maximum filter protection. The air filter is easily accessed, without tools, by removing the left side panel. Easy maintenance is guaranteed by the Twin Air filter and filter cage design that features a simple fail proof mounting system for safe and accurate filter installation.
- Airbox - maximum air flow and filter protection.
- Filter mounting system - safe and accurate protection against dirt.
- Tool-less filter access - easy and fast maintenance.
- Black high-strength alloy rims by DID are coupled to CNC machined hubs using lightweight spokes and silver anodized aluminum nipples.
- Lightweight but strong and reliable construction - minimum unsprung weight.
Dunlop MX3S Motocross tires that feature the proven ‰ÛÏblock-within-a-block‰Û