For Australian Jed Beaton it was a career-best qualifying result when he took his Kawasaki to third place in the Portuguese round of the FIM World MX2 Motocross Championship at Agueda.
The Australian rode a superb opening lap to emerge in fifth place and continued to advance strongly within the lead group to third place after four laps; he maintained his speed to the end of the race to finish just five seconds behind the race-long winner. With third choice of gate for both GP motos he has every chance of a podium finish in the GP.
"Today was a good day," Beaton said. "I didn‰Ûªt get the best start but after two turns I managed to come inside the top ten and then I worked to pass several riders to finish third. It was a good race and I have a good gate pick for tomorrow so I‰Ûªm looking forward to it; let‰Ûªs hope that the weather will stay decent tonight to preserve the track."
In the Women‰Ûªs racing Altherm JCR Yamaha‰Ûªs Courtney Duncan lined up to the gate first after having a time practice lap time 2 seconds faster than the reigning champion, MXFONTA RACING Yamaha‰Ûªs Kiara Fontanesi. Duncan proved her speed again in race 1 taking the lead early and never looking back. Behind Duncan was Nancy van de Ven and last week‰Ûªs winner and red plate holder Larissa Papenmeier.
MXGP Qualifying Race Top Ten:
1. Jeffrey Herlings (NED, KTM), 24:36.707
2. Antonio Cairoli (ITA, KTM), +0:01.541
3. Romain Febvre (FRA, Yamaha), +0:04.761
4. Tim Gajser (SLO, Honda), +0:08.175
5. Clement Desalle (BEL, Kawasaki), +0:24.822
6. Gautier Paulin (FRA, Husqvarna), +0:27.661
7. Jeremy Seewer (SUI, Yamaha), +0:42.055
8. Evgeny Bobryshev (RUS, Suzuki), +0:52.023
9. Glenn Coldenhoff (NED, KTM), +0:54.046
10. Arminas Jasikonis (LTU, Honda), +0:59.735.
MX2 Qualifying Race Top Ten:
1. Jorge Prado (ESP, KTM), 24:47.557
2. Thomas Kjer Olsen (DEN, Husqvarna), +0:03.169
3. Jed Beaton (AUS, Kawasaki), +0:05.141
4. Pauls Jonass (LAT, KTM), +0:08.010
5. Ben Watson (GBR, Yamaha), +0:08.830
6. Calvin Vlaanderen (RSA, Honda), +0:19.790
7. Michele Cervellin (ITA, Honda), +0:37.611
8. Brent Van doninck (BEL, Husqvarna), +0:38.032
9. Alvin ÌÐstlund (SWE, Yamaha), +0:38.053
10. Vsevolod Brylyakov (RUS, Yamaha), +0:39.582